Tuesday, May 22, 2007

I never

owned a sewing machine in my life till this year!!!!!!

I always wanted one and something was always coming up and me being SOOO....."cheap"....no that's not a good word....whats a good word for -not liking to blow money on things for myself- ???

Sooo, not wanting to dish out money for something I might not have the chance to use and daily life getting in the way I never did.

Plus at the time I was making jewelry and was content with just doing that....


I still enjoy doing jewelry, but selling it was tough for me at least. I could not really buy bulk so it was costing me more to make than I was able to make back. Plus beads, beads everywhere didn't work to well with my two toddlers :)

So upon moving cross country (air force) -again- I took a break from being crafty. I still did here and there but more for myself.


I always wanted to make hair bows and did every now and then but only for my daughter. She was completely bald til the age about 1 1/2. And when I say bald I mean BALD!!!!

She couldn't wear the super cute lil clips, no pigtails...nothing TILL I received her first boutique style headband bow! Its was an addiction from there. But being a military SAHM mom I couldn't afford ALL the different kinds I wanted. So I made my own, looking pretty pitiful at first. So I practiced and practiced and thought "Wow this is fun and the possibilities are endless".


I don't make mass produced bows of just one kind or color. I add my style, love and give each one its own character. Sure maybe they dont sell like the mass produced ones BUT I have MUCH more fun making them "my way" and know that mine will be one of a kind. No other little girl will be wearing one exactly like mine.......




Where was I going with this ....


OH... I never owned a sewing machine and was kinda scared of them too. I mean I sew but by hand. A great friend of mine Kym was super sweet and bought me the cutest "Hello Kitty" sewing machine.
It was perfect for a beginning sewer as myself.And perfect for my bows!


Then my husbands grandmather gave me an older Singer Athena 2000 and I was in heaven!!! I always wanted an oder one. Reminds me of my mom or grandmother sewing. I use them both for different things.


So I am expanding my horizons and making other fun projects.


After MANY "try, try agains" I finally perfected my headbands for the grown ups chickies ;)


I am so excited to make more! I LOVE them and wear them EVERYDAY!!! (cause I dont get time to ever fix my hair so this works wonders:)


Check em out...

I have SO much great fabric to choose from! SO excited! They are pretty much perfect ;)
So that brings me to the beginning stages of Becca's Bowtique and who knows how far it will go ;) I have high hopes!!!!!

4 comments:

Jodi @ Happy House Quilts said...

Love it!!! Love the green headband with the pokadot interior!!! Very classy!!! I love the title..."I never" I think you should post that as a challenge for the sahm street team at yahoo...for all of us with blogs...we should all try an "I never" post! What a good idea!!! {{{hugs}}} Jodi

Georganne said...

OMG! You did an EXCELLENT job!!!
GORGEOUS!
I've only been sewing about a year, as well! I have a whole slew of sewing machines, but just got a brand new White for Mother's day! ;o)
I'll link your shop from my blog, here's mine:
http://georgannesbaby.blogspot.com

Kirsten said...

What a great blog. You almost made me want a new sewing machine, but then I remembered, I don't really like machine sewing....
I put you on my Google reader list so I'll see when you update.

Georganne said...

TAG! you're it! See my blog to see what to do next!!

http://georgannesbaby.blogspot.com